Friday, January 15, 2010

A Day of Firsts

FuMei is really coming out of her shell--today she seemed so much more relaxed and light. She has been talking a lot and revealing a bit more of herself to us. She started the morning with us at the breakfast buffet. She had her first bowl of Cocoa Puffs, which she said was "good eating" on her first bite (in Chinese of course). She then proceeded to put her bacon, ham, and the crushed up yolk of a hard boiled egg into it. And continued eating--also "good eating!" We realized that she has likely had little more than rice gruel to eat. And rice gruel is something that you put lots of things into, including vegetables, meat (if you're so lucky to have it), fish, eggs, whatever you might have. Andrew was positively grossed out and said we will never be able to have people over for breakfast if she keeps eating like that. We had a long chat about what was considered "normal" and how we all have our own cultural sense of what is right, but often times such things are not at all a matter of what is right and wrong. Still, Andrew is grossed out and insists we need to give her a good lesson in what is "right" in terms of breakfast combinations.

Our flight to Guangzhou was smooth--FuMei seemed a little apprehensive especially as we came in to land, but giggled heartily as the plane hit the ground and decellerated. Lynn did some workbook things with her on the plane and she seems very quick to learn and eager for stimulation. We were picked up by the adoption agency reps and brought to our hotel where we had a good play on the beds--she wanted to do a lot of the games we played last night, tickling feet, counting, and laughing a lot. The time we had last night was great for me to connect more with her. She has been a bit rambuncious, but we are delighted to see her loosening up.


She had her first hamburger and fries tonight at a nearby American style restaurant. "Good Eating!" She also wrote her name copying what Lynn had written for her. She is so cute and wanted to hold BaBa's (Daddy's)hand the whole time we walked about the island where our hotel is. We are in the old foriegn quarter of Guangzhou, Shamian Island where all the foreign consulates were back in the last century. All the buildings are European style, but unfortunately with the Asian Games coming to Guangzhou in Nov. all the buildings (and I mean all) are under renovation and therefore covered in ugly scaffolding and blue tarps and nearly all the roads are being redone--that is too bad.

Yet we are all doing well. Thanks for your prayers. We have adoption related things to attend to most of the next 7 days, but there is usually some down time where we hope see some sights and enjoy some local food. This island has an international flavor, lots of foreign tourists, non-Chinese restaurants and lots of adopting families. We are one of 11 families that will be a part of the exiting group next week.

Pray for things to go smoothly with FuMei's physical tomorrow. She will likely have to have quite a few shots and will get a TB test. We hope that we can enjoy the days we have here and connect more as a family. We need wisdom in how we balance our limited attention with the other kids as well.

Thanks for your prayers. We are blessed to have little FuMei with us.

6 comments:

  1. Good morning from Mpls. (7:35am Friday)temp. 20.
    More wonderful information about your day, all so interesting. Prayers for a good physical and shots, breakfast and hamburgers!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking you ate at "Lucys." We enjoyed their food and also the walk there. Too bad everything is under renovation. I so enjoyed the old world flavor of those buildings. It is so fun to see FuMei enjoying being apart of a family. It does our hearts good to see that smile of hers. All your children look great and I pray are enjoying this time in China. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great post! Fu Mei sounds like she's really enjoying herself. I will be praying for wisdom and her physical.

    Blessings,

    Cindy Luna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to find your blog through GSCC website. This is a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

    Just a thought about FuMei's shots, she might get positive for TB test if she had BCG (vaccine for TB) at birth. I had a TB test at my workplace when I was in FL. Before got the test I told the nurse that I had had BCG in China. She was not familiar with it because BCG is not commonly used in the States. So she did the test. Two days later she told me the reading was positive and sent me to an occupational health clinic. Fortunately the doctor was from India where BCG is widely used. He told me it was most likely a false positive because of BCG. I had to get a chest X-ray to rule out any problem. Then the doctor gave me a note for my employer to exempt me from future TB test.

    I don't know if BCG is still a routine vaccine in China. I would think it's in her record if she had it. Or you can check to see if there is a scar on her upper arm (usually on left side).

    Blessing,

    Jing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lynn,
    I posted to the yahoo wall too but I just wanted to let you know that I found an exemption form for adoptive children under age 10 if you didn't want her to get all those shots all at once. I just cant find your email address. Let me know if you want it. You still have to get the shots but at least not all at once. Anyway, let me know. I found it on the NSCIS website. Jennifer Hunt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tears are in my eyes as I imagine the joy you all feel, as Fu Mei comes out of her shell and into the warmth and love of your family! Blessings, Kristi

    ReplyDelete